The Amazing Health Benefits Of Red Cabbage

Written by on February 25, 2011 in Food, Health - 24 Comments

Red cabbage is a vegetable packed with goodness. Though its taste may not appeal to everyone, it is a wonder vegetable that can benefit your body, mind and heart.  Take a look at how this gem of a vegetable can promote physical well-being.

red cabbage

1. Low in fat: Red cabbage is low in calories, and is a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
  2. Anti-aging effects: Red cabbage is a wonderful source of Vitamin C, which helps in anti-oxidation and is therefore involved in maintaining beautiful skin and delaying aging naturally. The outer leaves are rich in Vitamin E, which aids in producing a glowing complexion.
  3. Good for the Eyes and Skin: Red cabbage is a rich source of vitamin A, which is involved in maintaining clear eye sight. Vitamin A also acts as a natural moisturizer, keeping your skin smooth and supple.

red cabbage benefits

4. Boosts Immunity: Red cabbage is an abundant source of Vitamin E, and thus helps in immunity building, DNA repair, and other metabolic processes.  Red Cabbage boosts the immune system’s ability to produce more antibodies.

5. Cleanses the body: Red cabbage contains large quantities of sulfur, and other minerals that work as cleansing agents for the digestive system.  Raw red cabbage (incorporated into your diet in salads) cleans the bowels, thus preventing indigestion and constipation

6. Anti-cancer properties: Researchers have recently identified 36 different varieties of anti- cancer chemicals in red cabbage. This beneficial property is due to the high content of anthocyanins, a class of flavonoids that has been linked to cancer protection.  Some varieties of anthocyanins have double the antioxidant effect of vitamin C.  Red cabbage is also a good source of indoles, compounds that may reduce the risk of breast cancer by altering estrogen metabolism.

7. Prevents Osteoporosis: Like many other vegetables, red cabbage is a good source of calcium.  Calcium is an essential mineral for people of every age, as it aids in the strengthening of bones and teeth.  Proper intake of calcium-rich foods at a young age is important to help overcome osteoporosis during old age.

8. Reduces Alzheimer’s risk: The building up of certain plaques in the brain is found to be the main cause of Alzheimer’s disease. In a study conducted by researchers, the consumption of red cabbage in test individuals noticeably reduced the formation of these plaques.  Red cabbage, unlike white or green varieties, has a higher concentration of natural anthocyanins that helps protect against this form of dementia.

red better than white cabbage

Image

9. Treating Ulcers: Red cabbage is believed to have therapeutic value in the treatment of ulcers.  The juice of red cabbage has been used in the treatment of ulcers for many years.  A high concentration of the amino acid called glutamine is responsible for this healing property.

‘Eat your greens’ is what we say to kids, meaning eat your green vegetables.  Maybe it is time we modify this saying to ‘Eat your greens AND reds”, for red veggies also have abundant goodness in them.

Via : Upper crust.

24 Comments on "The Amazing Health Benefits Of Red Cabbage"

1. Jodene February 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm ·

This is such a wealth of information. I try to vary my vegetables and don’t give red cabbage enough of a chance ;-)

2. Reut February 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm ·

Hi Jodene,
    So now that you know the health benefits of red Cabbage, you should give it more chance..
    have a great weekend!

3. ERASTUS K.CHERUIYOT August 18, 2011 at 11:54 am ·

Good topics on health issues please advice on how to get the seeds for the red cabbages .

4. Ginger October 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm ·

This is a great post, thank you! I am actually a big fan of red cabbage. So are the Turkish people by the way. The taste, when cut in very thin slices, with a bit of tomatoes, avocados, lemon juice, cayenne, and tahini is just amazing. I have it at least twice a week.

Due to its high content in selenium it is also a natural remedy to reduce high blood pressure. More natural tips and ideas how to reduce high blood pressure on my homepage.

Sunny smiles

Ginger

5. Reut October 7, 2011 at 5:51 pm ·

Thank you Ginger for your great comment. Have a great weekend.

6. Rinita November 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm ·

Love to hear all the benefits of Red Cabbage!….I actually went to the grocery store for Thanksgiving shopping and they were all out of Green Cabbage..so I bought the Red. Can I just say >>.DELICIOUS!!! I’m buying Red from now on!! And it looks SO Beautiful on your plate!!

7. Reut November 25, 2011 at 8:44 pm ·

I agree with you Rinita, red cabbage is delicious and looks great on the plate. Thank you for your comment!

8. Ric Tangherlin i- Singer/songwriter January 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm ·

I eat a red cabbage salad with Broccoli, red kidney beans, carrots, tomatoes, boiled chicken and peppers everyday, I just switch up on the dressings so I don’t get sick of the same ole. I am 53 years old but feel like an eighteen year old. Using the red cabbage in place of boring lettuce really makes a difference health wise and welght wise.

9. Reut January 23, 2012 at 8:17 am ·

It’s great to hear it Ric. Thank you for stopping by.

10. anwar January 28, 2012 at 6:56 pm ·

Munch it while watching TV or surfing the web…good for all times…..great freshness

11. Kailani March 23, 2012 at 3:29 am ·

I have been juicing red cabbage and love the taste. I also feel like I can breathe better after drinking it.

12. Reut March 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm ·

Hi Kailani,
    I’ll try the juice idea. Thank you for your comment.

13. Stacia May 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm ·

Does red caggage reduce belly fat and how!

14. Reut May 22, 2012 at 7:16 am ·

Hi Stacia,
    Red cabbage has a thermogenic effect that helps burn fat faster.
    Good luck and thank you for stopping by.

15. Cyndy September 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm ·

I have been eating red cabbage for about a month. Everyday, I fill up a salad bowl with thinly sliced red cabbage, drizzle on extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar, add a little bit of salt and pepper, and YUMMY! I am 41 and my blood pressure has gone from 134/80 to 107/61!! Seems to help with constipation. I can’t wait to see what else happens! Either way, it’s a filling snack when I get home from work and helps me eat less at dinner.

16. Rod November 14, 2012 at 11:56 pm ·

Terrible diet myself. However, I LOVE a ton of red cabbage in a giant stainless salad bowl. I pour in a bunch of Italian dressing and some vinegar. Salt, pepper, and half a small jar of pickled kielbasa!

Sorry, but it still rocks! And it’s better than McD’s.

17. Carmel December 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm ·

I had 3 varieties of red cabbage salad for dinner tonight & now I know why!

18. Reut December 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm ·

Much much better then McD’s!! Thank you Rod for your comment.

19. E February 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm ·

i love juicing it along with an apple and a knob of ginger. yum

Trackbacks for this post