Stretch marks are really common during pregnancy due to the damage of elastin fibres. Though these marks are unavoidable, certain natural tips can minimize them. Many commercial products available in market contains harmful chemicals and some of them are not tested to be safe to use during pregnancy. Here are some natural ways to prevent the stretch marks and reduce their impact on your skin.
1. Keeping your skin moisturized can helps in reducing the stretch marks. When using moisturizing creams, it is better to use herbal or plant based natural creams and lotions.
2. Try not to gain more than the recommended weight to minimize stretch marks. Doctors recommend that most women will gain between 25 to 35 pounds during the pregnancy.
3. Nutritional deficiency can increase stretch marks. So add to your diet foods that promote skin health like carrots, nuts, berries etc., and protein-rich foods like eggs, fish and milk .
4. Drink adequate water, i.e. 2 – 4 liters of water a day to keep your body hydrated and to reduce the risk of getting stretch marks.
5. Vitamin E oil helps in keeping the skin soft and prevents stretch marks. You can massage your skin gently with it regularly.
6. Stress increases the stretch marks. There are many ways that can help you relax, one great way is to practice Pregnancy Yoga. Gyan Mudra, one of the most powerful poses in yoga, can help in relieve stress and keeps the mind relaxed.
7. Bathing with lukewarm water opens the skin pores and relieves skin problems like itching. Oatmeal bath solution can soothes your skin and reduces stretch marks.
8. Our skin stays healthier when we get adequate sleep. Try to sleep between 6-8 hours daily, and to have a rest in the middle of the day.